Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Hows my little decade in review?

Wow! I've lived long enough to recall an entire decade. Loyal fans, I would like to thank everyone who helped me accomplish such an amazing feat! So in addition to my annual year in review I thought I would review the past 10! years of my life as I can best recall. Since I started this blogging thing way back in 2004 I've got a few years that can only be recalled from what little memory my brain utilizes. The rest are going to be links back to some important blogs from my history of blogging. Enjoy my journey through life via blogs

The Year 2000:

Y2K anyone? Nope. Pretty sure I left the computer on overnight though just to see what would happen.

Solidified the best group of friends any person could ask for during this year. With this group I was carried through Mounds View High and beyond making memories I won't forget and others that have long been lost.

Began thinking about thinking about college, because my mom said I should.

I was introduced to 'The Living End' and my love for music can be traced back to that point.

Began my annual pilgrimage to the Houston Family cabin over memorial weekend. (or was this in 99? hm.)

2001:

Napster was shut down, right after we got cable internet too!

Where were you on September 11th 2001?
I was spending the night on Tony Czech's couch because our school's construction delayed classes for two weeks and I had nothing going on. His Dad called in the morning to tell us to watch the news. From his armchair I watched live footage of the second plane strike the World Trade Center. Spent the rest of the day feeling empty and sad while glued to the various news outlets on TV.

Peed into several jars with my friends at least one may still exist to this day. Learned that poop will liquefy after several years sealed in a jar exposed to the elements.

Actually began thinking about college.

Took the ACT 3 times, fell asleep during the first two tests and didn't break 20. Test three I stayed awake for and did significantly better. Imagine that!

2002:

Applied for colleges and was accepted by Bemidji State University.

Began building my own desktop computer as a hobby.

Got hooked on Diablo II and video games in general.

Read the Harry Potter Series (which had been released) in two weeks.

2003:

Took a big fall after throwing myself off a big jump at Wild Mountain. Probably messed up my knee on this day.

Graduated High School, couldn't have been more excited to get out of that place.

Left the home nest for my freshman year at BSU.

Walked onto BSU's Track team and ran Hurdles. My Mom and Dad made many various treks around the region to watch my meets, something I didn't fully appreciate until recently, especially since my races lasted between 7-62 seconds.

Binge drank for the first time. Nearly an entire 750 ML of Vodka and Green Gatorade, using Reece's peanut butter cups as chasers. Survived.

Got my cartilage in my ear pierced. Future employers ruined its longevity.

2004:

Left East Side Beverage before the end of the summer. Learned a valuable lesson about the working world and life.

Found out my knee was always sore because I had torn my medial and lateral meniscus in my right knee. After some surgery I felt a lot better. After a lot of work I could run around again.

Met Sarah Fuller, an inspiration through the rest of my college career.

Transferred to UMD.

Joined a new internet phenomenon called The Facebook.

My first semester at UMD was an epic failure, taking 3 classes and 14 credits I was busier than shit and found that a Computer Science major was the wrong direction for me. With a D in one class a F in another (both required for the CS major) I began rethinking the future of my college career.

George Bush somehow got reelected.

2005:

After the easiest semester ever and a sharp turn around in grades, (not everyone can double their GPA) I decided to pursue a Graphic Design Major the following school year.

How I decided on Graphic Design

Pretty much sums up my free time my second semester in Duluth

I am still a bad speller

Worked for College Pro Painters and got shafted in pay, time working, and enjoyment of a summer job. Quit before the end of the summer and threatened my employer with a lawsuit over 32 unpaid dollars.

Purchased my first car! A purple 2003 Dodge Stratus.

I had my Appendix removed.

2006:

Got a job at the Edgewater Waterpark in Duluth and grew to slowly hate it before I transferred to somewhere less hated within the hotel.

Accepted into the GD program into UMD! Graduation here I come!

My Heart doesn't work like yours.

Purchased my first laptop an Apple Powerbook G4, as of this post it is now obsolete without an Intel processor there will be no future updates available.

Began winemaking as a hobby using Stabbers' beer making kit.

I still don't like TV & its overdue for innovation

My parents sold the house I grew up in to move to Covington, Indiana. Pay special attention to the last couple of lines from that post.

Began a semi-monthly tradition of Titacular Tuesdays!!

I decided to force myself into liking beer. The reason was to actually enjoy a Guinness at the brewery in Ireland. 100% success.

Traveled over an ocean for the first time EVER!

The Red Hot Chili Peppers released Stadium Arcadium, easily my favorite album of the decade.

Pluto was demoted from the solar system. Down to 8 planets. My very educated mother just served us nothing...?

Was introduced to a fine young woman named Laura Davis. Love at first sight? That might be debated for the ages. Our first date: Tea and the grocery store. Little did I know she would help change the course of my future.

2007:

Best Story Ever.

Found out I'm a bit Lactose Intolerant

The beginning to the end of paper. (written before the Kindle and Nook were released)

Somewhere along the line I began to grow more mature.Not everyone would agree though =)

Jinx popped into my life.

Began Geocaching as a hobby.

I predicted the 2008 election results.

Began working at my first Graphic Design Job for Late Night Kirby.

Its called sharing not stealing.Historic and epic lawsuit against a music stealer right in Duluth, MN. She later appealed and ended up paying MORE! Oops.

2007 was my most prolific blogging year of the decade with a total of 109 posts

2008:

My cat learned to fetch

I can't believe they still charge this much.

I put an end to the masturbating neighbor.

All that hard work paid off!

My favorite April fool stunt.

I discovered myself.

I GRADUATED FROM COLLEGE!!!

I moved from Duluth. You should enjoy it like I did.

I moved in with my parents after saying I wouldn't.

I bought a house!

Attended Obama's election celebration Didn't realize he was going to spend all of the whole worlds money.

Began using a Loofa. Will never go back to the old bar in the foreseeable future.

2009:

Experienced the worst economic recession since the Great Depression.

Continued reading like a fiend again. Oh how I missed it.

Hopped on the Twilight saga bandwagon.

I consider this my living will and expect my legacies to follow it until I come up with something legit.

I made my own Headstone sample!

I already had a vendetta against corn. In 2009 it became stronger.

I planted, weeded and harvested the first garden of my own, with great success!

Saw my first movie in 3D.

I began my engagement to marry!

2009 was my least prolific blogging year of the decade (while I had a blog) with 35 entries.



Altogether the aughts (I still hate that name) were full of change, excitement, surprise, and adventure. I hope to include perhaps fewer life changing moments in the next ten years but more adventures around the globe. Life is always full of surprises and new twists I can't wait to tackle them with a smile and story to tell afterward.


Do I have any predictions for the next 10 years? I certainly do!
Gadget Predictions?
* I bet in 10 years video chatting over a cellular service will become reality, the quality still won't be very good by 2010 and it will cost more than most people are willing to pay.
* In the next 10 years we will see home TVs which are 3d ready become a huge flop because people won't want to use the glasses to make it work.
* By 2010 a glasses free 3D TV will hit the market and be extremely expensive.
* In the next 10 years we will see a revolution in cable programming, be it chose your own subscription or some form of order at will. Similar to streaming your Netflix choices online.
* Ebook readers are going to take off as Eink devices become embedded in more everyday items. Especially as color Eink devices begin to appear.
* Most laptops will cap off at 1 TB of storage many will have "only" 500 GB as the netbook begins to take hold.
* By 2010 most laptops will have some multi-touch capabilities thanks to the iPhone.

Life Predictions?
* I'll be getting married!
* Dear lord it makes me nervous to say this but I feel like 10 years isn't unreasonable to say a child of my own could happen. *shiver*
* Something will cause my departure from Illinois.
* A new (to me) car!
* I will see at least 3 new countries.
* I'm going to start thinking about writing that novel materializing in my brain.
* Freelance work of some sort.

1 comment:

The BeeJ said...

Tony, In looking back at that headstone you created for yourself, I think you should have picked a random date in the future sometime, then as that date approached you would get all nervous how you dabbled with fate