Friday, December 04, 2009

Hows my little Ark builder?

This week has been a very exciting one. First off, congratulations to Mashley Midthun! I had a great time at your wedding its great to finally see you two joined in holy matrimony and that other good stuff.

Next, recently Laura and I joined the ranks of the other old folks of the world who get excited about and purchase a new refrigerator. (a word I always have to spell check) and since our RCA fridge was made before they started including water for ice and drinking as a part of any refrigerator. We had to run our own water line to this one. So, talking about this project with Laura's dad one day he says oh, its easy bla bla bla. I have never built my own house, so for some reason did not take this with the large grain of salt I should have. So I do some research, find out said project is actually easy and went ahead and bought a kit that had everything I needed to route water from a pipe to a refrigerator. Sweet.

Tuesday I decide, this is the night! I get myself amped for the project and Laura starts on dinner. So for this project to be pulled off I need to move the dishwasher out from its spot to run our line behind it. Not hard, I find out after more research. Disconnecting it is just like disconnecting a toilet, twist valve, unscrew water line, & move. So I turn our little water valve to the OFF position, I confirm this is the correct line connected to the dishwasher and begin to unscrew. For some reason the connection I'm unscrewing won't budge but the other one seems to spin fine, I think, oh great at least one of them moves, this will work out fine. At this point I have a little bucket and Laura even got me a towel to dab up my dribbles because I was expecting a few. Back to the action, I've got the valve pretty much entirely unscrewed and I think to myself, wow, I'm impressed I haven't even had a tiny drop come out of the pipe. Until.....

WHOOOOOOOSHHH!!!
Not good.
Let me tell you, when dealing with plumping things this is probably the very last sound you want to hear.

This whoosh was not just a sound but a full on deluge of water spraying, not leaking, dribbling or pouring, but spraying out of a little half inch PVC pipe. I'm not too sure of everything I was thinking or saying at this point but I'm sure many of the phrases aren't allowed on TV. So, not only am I cursing up a storm but the water coming out of the pipe is about three steps shy of boiling because it is straight out of our hot water line to our faucet in the kitchen. Not hot enough to burn though, thank god. Immediately I know, turn off the water. So, being the smart person I am I run to our hot water heater to be foiled by a lack of shut off valve. FiretrUCK, so back to the kitchen I run water shooting all over I think ooo! I'll get the hose and we can channel the water outside! I run outside grab the hose and start unwinding it while Laura is trying her hardest to get the spray nozzle off. Don't forget water is SPRAYING all over our kitchen right now. Pretty sure the nozzle was frozen to the hose so that was a wasted effort.

I putz with the hose a bit more and realize I'm just wasting time and water, I need to turn off the water to the whole house. At this point our hot water line is now cold. I run outside rip open our crawlspace door and find the shut off valve as I watch a small waterfall pour out of our floor into the crawlspace. Which considering the direction the water could have taken (the rest of the house), I'm quite thankful for that hole or holes.

It goes without saying Laura was pretty upset, especially since dinner was simmering (not burning though!) the whole time. Every one of our towels were saturated with the entire forty gallons of contents in our hot water heater. I, the man I am, walked around in shame for the rest of the night because as soon as I saw the water spraying out of the pipe I knew what I did wrong. Whatever goddamned moron who installed our dishwasher FUCKING GLUED THE HOSE TO THE WATER SHUTOFF VALVE!! I don't care if this is code or not, it has to be the dumbest idea EVER.

What does that mean? Well, when I was unscrewing the hose to the dishwasher, the side AFTER the shut off was glued TO the shutoff, meaning the only side I can unscrew is where the water comes from, not where the water won't come from.

As hindsight is always 20/20 I now know to turn off the whole house's water before beginning any sort of plumbing project. I still am not done with the ordeal because I need to cut a pipe sill and boy I can't wait for that excitement. Ideally by next week when we host a gathering of some folks for our pumpkin beer kick-off we have a working in freezer ice maker and filtered water from the fridge.

For some reason we didn't think of taking any pictures, so just imagine me running around soaking wet with goofy knee pads on my legs and a very panicked look on my face and it was like you were there!

2 comments:

Scott said...

So awesome I don't even have words for it. All I have to say is your awesome and well, I've done that more than once.

Brandee said...

Welcome to home-ownership! I was laughing so hard the tears were falling because it brought back many memories of the adventures scott and i had with our first home. don't worry in a few years you will be an expert. when we had moved into our first house the pipes froze overnight and scott told me to turn all of the faucets on full blast and wait for them to thaw out. not such a great idea when the pipes burst because we had a downpour in the living room. i ran to turn the water off from the shut off valve only to realize i turned it the wrong way and more water was raining down. fun times!