Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Hows my little Winter Wonderland?

Winter.
Make it be known to the world that I love winter. I'm not a summer kind of guy. You might be thinking that I'm entirely crazy, I do love certain things the summer brings such as swimming in the water, the sexy tans on me and the ladies, as well as the oft smelled BBQ wafting through the neighborhood air. But winter, I just love winter.
First off, I love the cold. I'm pretty sure Jacob and I have at least one thing in common and that is that we run a little warm on the inside (maybe the rippling muscles as well :) so because of that when its winter I get to comfortably wear long sleeved shirts. I hate the idea of fashion being stylish without comfort. Completely not me. I tell everyone in the summer you can be only so naked, so on those hot humid days with no access to a body of water sweating on your couch just gets nasty and uncomfortable. What do you do in the winter when you're cold? You bundle up in a giant comfy sweat shirt, wrap yourself up in your big fuzzy blanket and possibly a loved one with a cup of hot something and enjoy a movie. Add a fireplace to the mix and you've got something straight out of a Norman Rockwell painting. How many sweaty thirsty people sitting three feet away from each other do you see in his paintings? None. If it exists, show me.
I digress. Why else do I love winter? I love winter sports, Even though I rarely ice skate I love it. I love watching all the cool winter sports on TV, downhill skiing, bobsledding, snowboarding, and even the occasional figure skating competition is tolerable. Building snow forts, sledding, and snowball fights are some other awesome aspects of winter I can't get enough of. My most of all favorite winter time activity is downhill skiing.
I love me some skiing for many different reasons. One is the pure thrill of hurtling myself down a hill at speeds I will never know within feet of trees, giant poles, idiot Texans, and cliffs. Another is the never ending challenges that skiing presents itself from hill to hill. Trying bumps and trees is a challenge I can't seem to stay away from, despite the danger of breaking any sort of (my own) limb because of a caught edge or miscalculated turn. Not to mention its quiet, and you can spend some really excellent quality time with your friends. Altogether skiing brings out all of my favorite aspects of a sport.
Which brings me to my final point on winter.
Never in my life have I been any less excited about a season such as this upcoming winter. Since moving down to our lovely town of Oakwood I've realized that winters here SUCK! It has all of the great qualities of winter that every one "loves" (note the following sarcasm) The bitter wet cold that bites into your bones and doesn't let up until you shower, The never ending prevailing wind (there is a reason this area has more windfarms than anywhere else in the nation), the complete and utter lack of trees and hills to potentially disrupt said wind, and lets not leave out the lack of even dead vegetation to look at since all of the surrounding area is harvested corn and soy beans. Also because it stays below 30 for only a few days at a time one can't even get out for some quality time slipping around on frozen water.
So excluding all of those factors winters here aren't so bad. Oh, just kidding. There is no snow here either. None, we got 7 inches once last year once and it was gone in a week. You couldn't even sled on it after two days! AHHH! So without snow, hills, trees, and cold. What is the point of living in this region for the next three months? I can't think of one.
Since I'm already started, the snow plows don't even plow the roads! They cruise around with their blades up (while snow is on the ground) and dump salt everywhere. It makes no sense. Obviously they have invested in plows, why is it they don't actually plow? Driving down here in the winter, with all these already crappy Illinois drivers, really sucks as well. Ugh.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

When I woke up the other morning, I thought I heard the radio say "ice storm" and I was worried everything would be covered in ice. Then I realized that it needed to be above freezing to get the water to make ice and that I don't need to worry about that happen for another 2-3 months.