Monday, March 03, 2008

Hows my little Open Letter?

Dear Music Industry,

My Name is FatTony and I enjoy acquiring music from the various sources on the internet. I've noticed lately you are posting record lows across the board in album sales, and I've taken it upon myself to wonder why.

Of course first I turned into myself to ask 'Why don't I buy eve an eighth of my music?' That's easy I say, 'It is too expensive, especially if I don't know what this artist has done before.' I have placed a value on an album at $10.00 to myself, if I've never heard more than the latest single the album isn't worth a cent more to me.

Which leads me into a question back to the industry. It takes a second to set up so bare with this one...It is easily argued that a musical album is still considered an artistic endeavor. Bach and Bono are in the same category. Anyway, a film should also be considered an artistic endeavor no problem right? Between the Actors, set designers, the director's vision or an animator they are all artists working together to complete a movie as a piece of art. So the deep question is, why is it that when a movie is released I can count on it's price dropping by half within a year sometimes I can even find it for half that of a musical album within that same year. I do understand that when the Beatles created their masterpieces they have stood the test of time, but if i recall correctly you can still find Gone With the Wind or Citizen Kane for $10 or less.

My proposition? Sell albums for less, have a sale on a genre once a year where everything is between $5.00-$8.00 but do that only if lowering the price of albums across the board to a more affordable $10.00. Because If you don't I'll keep finding my music elsewhere for free and dumping all of my money into concerts where you don't get a cent of it.

Thank you for listening,
FatTonyTCL

No comments: