Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Hows my little Mix?


Clifford this is for you.

The mix.
A mix tape or cd is a wonderful wonderful invention. Raise your hands, who has found a new songbandalbumlove from a mix that someone has made them? ^ Me too.

I used to make mixes for people all the time in high school. I was one of the few people with Napster and a 56k AND a CD burner. I usually charged people $5 for my services/the CD all while expanding my own music collection and broadening my musical tastes. Then as Cable modems, Kazaa and CD burners were found standard on computers I was out of business, which was fine. I made the occasional mix for people stopped charging and we all went on our merry ways.

It wasn't until The Anniemosity had inspired me to ask for a mix did I realize how long it has been since I have bestowed that challenge upon someone. Challenge you might ask? Yes Challenge. I have been around this music acquiring business for quite awhile I have grown to love and dislike many genres and bands in that time. But I am always jealous of other people's music collections, how they can love a song I've never heard. I wanted to be in the loop I wanted a piece of her taste.

So with that making a mix isn't just throwing a few songs from your library into your favorite burning application. Making a mix is taking a piece of your musical soul and interpreting someone else's soul and making it fit just right. After that for a good mix you need to think of the ordering of the songs. MJ can not follow System of a Down (unless maybe its smooth criminal). Its all very tricky.

Anniemosity made me a mix that is true to its definition. I have an eclectic view of what she loves right now and before. I also have two more Chili Pepper songs that I can't stop listening to. And the third track with the bass line I can't get out of my head? yes! YES!! It's all very wonderful. She even loaded me with Van Halen a band I thought I had burned out on but when placed among the other songs I listen to it the whole way through, which is saying something. Altogether she managed to rise to the challenge there has been some wonderful times in the car of late. Musically, Its what I needed and I thank you.

4 comments:

samma said...

i just got an idea for a secret santa mixed cd christmas present type of thing

Tony! said...

that sounds very interesting...

samma said...

what if we drew names and whoever we got we'd have to make them a mix cd. it could be secret or not secret. but secret santas are the best.

what do you think?

anniemosity said...

i'm glad you liked it!
that van halen song can and will rock anyone's fucking face off. and that bass line is the legendary les claypool, and i saw that song in concert, and it was as amazing (if not more so).
plus those chili peppers songs are unbeatable.


i hope you're jamming out to young mc as well. and i think that you should send me a mix in return!