Monday, April 16, 2007

Hows my little newsworthy?

OK.
This morning I got up read the news online and get this, I saw that there was another school shooting, this time at a college. I instantly did two things:


I said, oh this time its at a college.
I skipped past the article and read about Steve Jobs making only one dollar this past year. (he has over a billion in stock options)

The 'Wow' started after I went back and realized that I just skipped it like it was nothing. Officially I am insensitive. So I did eventually go on to read (as of this writing 31 reported dead) the article. Its sad that something like this happened again. Why does it only happen here in america? What are we doing different?

If Manson, Video games, or Violence on TV are mentioned in the next few days of investigation, I am going to flip shit and might go on a rampage of my own in the CNN headquarters. I watch Violent TV and movies, (and enjoy them). I happen to enjoy a select range of Manson Songs. I'm not about to kill a bunch of strangers at school.

Yay world. Lame.

3 comments:

samma said...

i've been avoiding this story like all hell, and it's been hard.

my thoughts on this are always the same, and i don't even know what they are. i've been thinking about this all day even though i don't know anything past there being a shotting at virgina tech and 33 people died.

i understand that we can watch violent videos, listen to violent music, ect and not act out aggressively, ever. but our society and the media has become so saturated with shit lately, that it's hard to not associate the actions of our people with what we see in the media. the way i see it, is lets look at sex in the media, the way people dress, people being fergalicious, rap vidoes, sex in general. in return, i see youth becoming more and more sexualized ever single day, and i have a hard time not blaming the media. this is what the kids are learning.

so how is it that we didn't become effected by what we see in the media? i think everyone is on some level, and some people, especially youth, are extremely vulnerable to it. and we can never find an answer to why people are getting shot at schools.

the world is scary tony, hold me.

anniemosity said...

it is insulting for whomever to place the blame on video games and violent television, like we're all robots or something.

it's true, they are more prevalent in our culture than ever before, and we do become somewhat desensitized to violence, but it doesn't mean we're going to turn around and produce it.

ugh.

that being said, samantha makes a good point: the world IS fucking scary. it's not a great place right now. there are some really fucked up things. it's fucked up that the gun came onto the campus undetected. it's fucked up that the shooter was able to go home and reload before coming back. the whole situation is all kinds of fucked up and horrifying and scary, and it's easy to think of how terrifying the world is.

however, there are some good things in the world, and right now, in this time of frenzy and fear, you have to just focus on the positive, hold on to the hope, and believe in the good.

i believe in the good. despite all the fuckery in the world, i believe in the good. yes, this was scary and awful, but the outpouring of love and support really proves that deep down, people are good.

i believe in the good.


and there is my two cents from upon my surprisingly uncynical soapbox.
...not that you asked.

love.

Anonymous said...

I referenced your blog and posted about this. I like the topic.