Monday, June 02, 2008

Hows my little geonerd?

Alright, I am a bit obsessed with geocaching, but at least it is a healthy obsession. This weekend I got to prove that I am in fact only mildly obsessed with this nerdy sport as I attended my first Geocaching Event.

There are geocaching events?
you might be asking yourself?
Yeah, and I went. By myself.

A geocaching event is a group of cachers show up for a gathering to chat about caching as well as find some nearby ones, sometimes there are contests, others its just to clean up a local park.

This one was put on by the Minnesota Geocachers Association. Yes there is such a thing. They call themselves the MnGCA and they were founded to try to get geocaches allowed to be placed in state parks (geocaching is not allowed in national parks). Since they succeeded they managed to found a statewide game currently they are working on opening up picky cities, counties and local parks to geocachers. bla bla...

Back to me, on Friday I decided I would go since I had nothing better to do on Saturday. I posted a need for a ride and someone graciously provided me with one, and at SIX IN THE DAMN MORNING I woke up to geocache in Gooseberry Falls. I haven't woke up that early in I don't know how long.

The morning was pretty slow I yawned a lot and chit chatted to people about this and that, and let me tell you, introducing myself as "fat"Tony"TCL" was the nerdiest thing I have ever done, EVER. One guy was like hi I'm first bass and I was like, "Hi, I'm Tony...er FatTony.." ugh. But when people post online no one uses their real name so it made sense, but not when you are a beanpole named FatTony. I should have chosen to be Mighty Thor or GeoTony ugh...next time...

I was able end this awkwardness with the beginning of the day's main event, the Solo Caching challenge. The Idea was to find as many caches as possible within two hours if you were late you lost a cache for every 5 minutes you were late. So after running to the far end of gooseberry (about a mile uphill) I began my hunt and found 9 caches and made it back right on time. Nine caches got me third place and a trophy! My first trophy I received since middle school I think!


The dude handing me myaward was named "cooky" he was a really nice funny guy, of course his overalls brightened up my day every time I saw them.


The little guy in front kept making fun of me for always eating sweets, that means we were friends.

After the race was a free lunch where I tried a moose burger, which was pretty good. As well as lots of other tasty desserts. mmm. There were also some other fun things to do too that kept me busy. Overall I probably ended up walking/running 5 or 6 miles and for not moving that much in one day in recent memory I got home and sat on the couch my body was 'cached' HA!


This is a shot of the whole group gathered, quite the bunch!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You did get a basketball trophy your freshman year in high school...wonder why you forgot about that? :) After looking at this group...don't ever make fun of people in Indiana! Also, a commentary on your new design for your blog...grey letters on a grey background make it difficult to read.

Peter. said...

good god i love that pic of you eating the brownie (i think it was anyway) in the background!! i bet you snaked it from that little shit too didn't you?! hahaha.