Sunday, March 22, 2009

Hows my little Escape?

Since seeing my first Flogging Molly concert I have always thought man, wouldn't it be sweet to see them play on St. Patricks Day? Sure enough, it was. Granted I can't compare it to the last time I saw them where I got to meet the band afterwards but it was still really great. Easily they put on one of the most fun live shows around. Beer can aid the weary. I (foolishly) didn't Bring my camera, so this was the only photo I grabbed worth keeping from the concert.



I'm not all about just running up to Chicago and back for a few hours though. So this trip Laura and I decided we would do it right, and boy was it great to be getting paid to walk around and eat mussels.

On Tuesday we took a half day headed up to Chicago to meet up with pal Justin and his wonderful lady. We found out that Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's day the nearest Saturday to the actual day, so that was a huge disappointment because I wanted to see the greenest of green rivers and hang out at a parade before our concert. This was all we got:

Sure its green but I'm willing to bet that is a natural color of the Chicago River.

Here are some other photos from walking around that day:


Worlds largest working cell phone.

Justin was excited about the river.

Sadly Justin and Allison couldn't hang out with us for the following day, after we parted ways, Laura and I walked on over to the Shedd Aquarium. on the way we took some nice photos around town, I decided if they can dye an entire river I'm sure they covertly dye the lake this ridiculous blue color. I wouldn't put it past the Illinois/Chicago government.



The Shedd was pretty awesome, I love looking at fish and other animals, such as overly concerned parents and obscenely large children. Listening to the southerners talk was fun too. I swear I liked the fish, there were tons of really cool ones, like the fish that was older than my parents, and possibly rivals my Grandpa in age, he was brought into captivity in 1933! Neat.

Here are some fun ones from the Aquarium:

These guys were a riot.





I like all the rays in this picture.

After the Aquarium we had a genuine Chicago Dog and took off for home. I can't say I would do the any different. Next time though I will be prepared for heaps of delicious food, since we didn't get to it this time. I will recommend the Congress Hotel to folks looking for a comfy place to lay their head.

Ohio State and UCLA really F'd up my bracket. Not that I had a clue to begin with.

1 comment:

FullaLove said...

I'm going to Chicago in two weeks and can not WAIT to go to the aquarium. I feel like its the last touristy thing I need to do in that city.

Next time you go, check out a restaurant called Avec. It is unbelievable times a million...make sure to bring a credit card though :)

Glad you got to vacation and get away!