Monday, May 02, 2011

Hows my little Distance Runner?

This weekend was Illinois Marathon weekend. What fun it was! Last year I signed up to run the 5K last minute and surprised myself by staying injury free, so over the summer and winter I kept running and decided to run a whole marathon. That made sense at the time.

This year I signed up for a new event called the I-Challenge, you run the 5K on Friday and either the Half or Full Marathon on Saturday. I chose to run the Half marathon as a fitness checkpoint for Grandma's in June. Since I knew at least one other person doing this challenge we managed to get Laura and a few other friends roped into the 5K on Friday night, which was great!

I've had a great time watching Laura build up her running endurance from hardly a mile to running the entire 5K in only 34 minutes! To me there is nothing like having a friend or two shout your name while you're running and I was happy to be there at the end to hoot on Laura and our pals as they reached the finish exhausted and happy.

Saturday was the half marathon and due to a mysteriously appearing knee injury (same as my surgery knee) I was apprehensive to say the very least about this run. But my knee held up for all 13 miles and so did the rest of me!

Running events are so great to watch and participate in because of all of the great people watching. Obviously the fit bodies rocking their various forms of sexiness is a big draw. Everyone's different running forms inspire questions like, how did you make it this far looking like that. Then there are the fools who wear costumes. I always thought they were fun to watch for but this time I got stuck on pace with 'Waldo' for about 6 miles and holy shit if I heard WHERES WALDO yelled at me that often I would have flipped. It was a good costume, but boy did that get old. Needless to say it was good inspiration to pick it up for the last three miles and get away.

My chip time for the half was 2:07:10
My chip time for the 5K was 27:13 (a 9 second improvement!)

Since last year I did a body composition measurement I was excited to do another one this year to find any differences.
Here are my results:

Weight:....(2010) 199.4....(2011) 198.4
Height:....(2010) 6'4.7"...(2011) 6'4.3"(!)
BMI:.......(2010) 24.......(2011) 24
Body Fat%:.(2010) 16%......(2011) 15%
Body Fat:..(2010) 31.9 lb..(2011) 29.9 lb.

Warrior Dash and Grandma's Marathon will wrap up this guy's planned running season. Bring 'em on!

1 comment:

cwboarder said...

Your BMI is a lil high, 25 is considered obese.