Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Hows my little Northern Getaway?

This was a phenomenal long weekend.

Laura and I spent our time in the Washburn area. Taking a couple of extra days off made the 9+ hour drive entirely worth it. We have made it a habit recently to spend almost as much time in our car driving to and from our destination as we do awake at our destination.

The excuse to get away came in the form of a wedding for one of Laura's old high school pals Aubrey. The wedding was great, the ceremony was short and sweet, and the reception had great food and an open bar. Their family made hundreds of different cupcakes which were all quite tasty. Best of all the weather cooperated wonderfully.

The next morning we woke up and we drove into Bayfield to enjoy breakfast on a great recommendation at EggToss with pals Matt and Ashley. After that we hopped into the Davis family boat and zipped all around Lake Superior for a tour of the Apostle Islands. We got a bit of swimming and Frisbee time in as well. Since I'm the worst person to take to the beach if you want peace I decided to keep myself busy with a sculpture project so that everyone else could relax on the sand.











The next day was more of the first! Only today we added some water skiing and wakeboarding to the mix. I just barely fit into Scott's wetsuit and was happy about it because the water was pretty frigid in places. I'm happy to say I didn't forget how to drop a ski and live.



Laura also impressed me with her hidden wakeboarding skills.





We spent the rest of the afternoon frolicking around the beach and in the surprisingly warm water with sunburns aplenty.





That night we headed over to Bayfield to watch the fireworks and I think I can say that the display we saw was one of the best ones I've ever seen.

We woke up on our final morning stiff and sore from the previous day's activities and hopped into the car to twist all of that stiffness into a slow almost ten hour lower back torture session. I'm still a bit sore as of this posting and I'm blaming the car ride home.. I hadn't really recovered from my Vegas shenanigans and the marathon so this weekend was just what the doctor ordered. Mind, Body, and Soul revitalized.

1 comment:

Scott said...

Love the handstand. Excellent form. I can't wait, one month and we will be on the lake too. Man I miss that place.