Sunday, August 02, 2009

Hows my little DMB show?


Little? No. Dave Matthews Band is anything but little. Anything but. Yesterday Laura gave me the opportunity to catch a spectacle that is known as a Dave Matthews Band live outdoor concert. We went with our friend Nathan who like many of the other people at one of these shows is a Dave Matthews connoisseur this was his 21st show and our Cherry popping experience. He was a good guide.

I was told before the show that a DMB concert has a really good chance at not being good for a casual listener like myself because he has such a huge catalog of music there wouldn't be too many song to sing along with. Which is true, if it weren't for me knowing a lot of the songs off the new album I would have only known a few other songs. But!

The great thing about DMB is they are really truly excellent at the instruments that they play. The whole band is really a pleasure to listen to. Hearing the full sound while being able to pick out the combined nuances of the other individuals made me really appreciate the excellent quality of these musicians.
Would I recommend to see them? Absolutely but only if you're the kind of person who can appreciate good quality music you can boogie to, or a DMB superfan. Otherwise the price of admission might really piss you off.


I thought I should post the set list on here because to someone it might mean something, maybe my future self might appreciate it.

You Might Die Trying
Seven
You And Me
Dancing Nancies
Lying In The Hands Of God
Shotgun
Say Goodbye
Funny The Way It Is
Dive In
Crush
The Stone
Shake Me Like A Monkey
Alligator Pie
Burning Down The House
Pantala Naga Pampa
Rapunzel

Encore:
Don't Drink the Water
Two Step


Anyway enough of my sucking up. Since High School I've had a list of bands that I need to see before I die, and an outdoor Dave show has been on it for quite a while. So naturally since I've been 21 the idea of how I experience the concert has changed. So we did this concert the right way. A 12 pack per person. Most people wouldn't survive such an undertaking, the three of us included. So we scaled it back and ended up thoroughly enjoying ourselves responsibly, not sure I know what to do with all this leftover Corona.

1 comment:

Team Davis said...

Love the shirt Tony!