Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Hows my little reader in 2014?

I'm doing my reading list for the year differently, I've come to accept that I'm not good at writing a book summary (and don't want to try at it), so I'm not going to try. Plus I use this mostly to keep track of what books I've read.

Veronica Roth - Insurgent
We listend to the second book in the Divergent series on our NY adventure. This book seemed to fit well into the series. I honestly didn't like it that much. Not to say I disliked it, it just wasn't really great. I did like the bomb that they dropped at the end and now I'm curious about the final book in the trilogy.

Veronica Roth - Divergent
I really enjoyed this book, I liked the mystery and intrigue surrounding a future where Chicago is empty save for this transplanted colony of people. I've heard some people draw some parallels to The Hunger Games, they're wrong. There is a strong female lead, and it's staged in a different future that's where the similarities end.

Antonio Mendez & Matt Baglio - Argo
Argo was great, The movie was great and did the book great justice (with some extra Hollywood thrills) but the book...It made the story real and believable. Affleck played Antonio Mendez the real CIA agent who wrote the book and carried out this mission. If you liked the movie and you like mystery/history books you'll like this one.

Kurt Vonnegut - Slaughterhouse V
I started this on the plane coming home from PR thinking I would finish since it's so short, except I fell asleep, so I didn't. Anyway...someone in college told me to reread this book and more Vonnegut saying, 'I think you'd like it'. Sure enough, I did. I'm looking forward to reading more.

George RR Martin - A Feast for Crows
Book 4 from A Song of Ice and Fire threw me for a loop, no Danerys, Jon Snow, or Tyrion? Far too much Cersei. But finally Sansa doesn't suck (so much). This book was half of a giant bridge to book 6, I just have to read book 5 to get the other half, I'm expecting it to be MUCH better.

I spent most of 2014 working through JJ Abrams and Douglas Dorst's experience 'S' I have really enjoyed it but I shut down early on and didn't read it or anything for months after I invested some more time into it I really enjoyed it. I'm not done as of this writing yet.

No comments: