Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Hows my little Great Pumpkin?

Last weekend Laura and I had a lovely time with my parents.

Saturday we headed over to the Great Pumpkin Patch in Arcola, IL. Laura and I got some free passes when we worked at a farm to fork dinner in the spring. It was a really cool place! I would describe it as a fun, quirky, whimsical, and friendly place to get to know your local and international cucurbits. I'd say a good portion of our fun was spend pointing and laughing at different members of the squash family.


I'm not sure how many different types they had but these next few pictures should help everyone gain perspective on the scope. They did have one display showing a different squash for every letter of the alphabet.












There were all sorts of clever uses of all sorts of things. Some of the squash dangling here looked like the saggiest testicles in the world. Those balls on the ground are made of barbed wire. 


Fluffy chickens!



Photo-op at the Mum wall!

I haven't seen too many giant pumpkins in my day so this one was HUGE! The sign said they can gain up to 25 pounds per day in last couple of weeks of growth.




The highlight of my trip I think was the ice cream sandwich I got. That is the most gooey cookie around the best pumpkin ice cream I've ever tasted. The ice cream was very popular tons of people had cones, but they were definitely missing out, the sandwich was the way to go.



It would have beeb tragic to not leave without something so we shopped for some punkins.

Look at that stem!


Our squash haul. That orange pumpkin is up to my knee for perspective.

After the pumpkin patch we had an excellent dinner at the Firefly in Effingham, IL. This is a super cool restaurant that emphasizes local and backs it up by using ingredients from their own garden. I loved it.



It was a fun weekend with the parents.

No comments: