Sunday, January 27, 2013

Hows my little Whiskey Traveller?

I think one of my favorite things about having several whiskeys on hand is trying them back to back. You can't really appreciate subtle flavors until you try some different ones right in a row. This session was a fun one with a few surprises and only one returning bottle from the last tasting. About six months ago I had a bunch of Rye whiskeys that I'm still kicking myself for not tasting side by side.


 I tried to line them up from most mild to the most bold/harsh. I was pretty close but there were a couple of surprises.


Beer Barrel Bourbon.
Its got a creamy aroma and its taste is smooth, a pleasant burn finishes it.

Laura's Take:
Actually kind of enjoyed it, sweet and smooth.

Wathen's Single Barrel Kentucky Bourbon.
Really easy to drink, especially for being 94 proof. It smells nice and goes down easy, maybe a little too easy...

Laura's Take:
Little to no burn.

Gentleman Jack.
Smells like banana cream pie, tastes like a fake banana runt, but like whiskey. Not a lot of burn so it could be a good go to for on the rocks when out and about.

Laura's Take:
A screwcap? Pleasantly surprised, better than expected.

Cabin Fever.
I picked this up yesterday for $20 just to mix up my taste buds. My first reaction was is this even whiskey? It smells like butterscotch and goes down like dessert. If you can find this at the store buy it and it will be a great aperitif.

Laura's Take:
I would have a glass of this on ice! (a whiskey first for Laura!!)

(Ri)1.
This should be about how any 'average' whiskey should smell, slightly oaky with a hint of booze. There is a whole lot of burn with this one. Not my favorite.

Laura's Take:
That one tastes like medicine.

Four Roses Single Barrel 2011.
This still has lots of great aroma's after almost two years. The first instant I though wow the Ri is more harsh than the charcoal and booze struck and I immeadiately wished I had ice. Still a great drink but best diluted a bit.

Laura's Take:
It burns too much, but warms her tummy.

Booker's Bourbon.
At 63% this is a monster. There is hardly any aroma which either means the Ri burnt my nose or  its fairly light. As I was swishing it around my mouth I thought, hey this is really nice, a bit sweet and really smooth. Then it started to burn, sort of like a strong horseradish mixed with tobasco. The charcoal comes through light and nice.

Laura's Take:
I feel like I can breathe fire.

This was fun! I had no idea what to expect with the Cabin fever, mostly I was thinking a crummy alcoholy thing with a disappointing maple flavor, instead I got dessert! This isn't for everyone but if you're open to new things you might enjoy it. The Beer Barrel Bourbon was not like I remembered it in the glass. I think maybe the creamy flavor stayed behind in the two small sips I had, still its delicious. A few weeks ago we had it next to the dragon's milk beer that gives this whiskey its name, I highly recommend it if you can find it. It belonged after the Jack in smoothness but certainly before the (ri).

No comments: