Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Hows my little nasty beard?

For the fist time ever I participated in an event where I purposely didn't shave something for an extended period of time. No not my shoulders. No Shave November! Many people are more familiar with the Movember movement to raise money and awareness for men's health issues. As you can see I'm still waiting on my ability to grow enough hair to participate in Movember. Someday I'll be a real man.



This has been an interesting experience with some unexpected observations. Mainly how critical people can be of facial hair, and it's growth rate. I readily admit that my beard is still filling in. Which at 28 sounds funny but it's true, two years ago I wouldn't have attempted such a challenge because a nasty neck beard and chin strap combo would have looked (more) awful. The weirdest part was getting crap from people about how slow my facial hair grows, not just any people women. They generally made some sort or reference to how quickly some other man in her life grew a beard compared to mine. Of all people to judge facial hair growth, females seems to be least credible folk to make these comments since they can't (generally) grow this type of hair. I understand the "your neck beard looks gross" but saying, "that's all, and after how long? ____ would have it down to his ____ by now!" Ladies, that sort of statement is like me saying, oh your menstrual flow is heavy for only two days typcially? Well, my wife's is strong and painful for four and a half days, who's the bigger woman now? Comparing people's bodily functions to prove something is pretty absurd.

So I've learned some things from No Shave November, most important I will not attempt a solo mustache for a few years yet. But I'm letting the beard go for awhile, since I've never gone this long before it's worth a shot. I will also be keeping my neck hair trimmed down to keep Laura happy.

No comments: