Sunday, June 17, 2012

Hows my little Chili Beer?

Holy Ghost Chili Batman!

Awhile back I got lucky and scored some cheap ghost chili peppers from the Galena Garlic Co. at the Illinois Product Expo on the premise of me sending the guy a few beers I promised I would brew with them.
Handling with caution.
Well the beer is finally brewed and I got the pleasure to see my friend Ryan's new (homemade) homebrew setup in action. The rig goes under the name of 5Thumbs if you're interested in one of your own, and you should be, it's a thing of homebrewed beauty.



I wanted the beer to taste like a nice smoky Chipotle Salsa, with just enough fire to be able to finish a bottle but too much heat to want a second one. I used a honey nut brown recipe, a bit of smoked malt, 5 ghost chilis, and honey added after the boil to get my flavor. I'm thus far very excited about where the brew is headed. This was planned to be a big slightly malty and boozy brew but due to some technical difficulties we ended up with a 6 gallon batch instead of a 5 gallon, which is not a problem, when I racked it the beer tasted perfect. I can only hope it stays that way in the secondary and the bottle!
The one gallon test boil to find out how much heat the pepper would impart.

The scariest sip of water I've ever tried.

5 Ghost Chili peppers going in at the beginning of the boil!

This I'm excited for the brew to be ready! I hope you are too! 

Right now the name for it is awful, 'The Hot 'n Spicy Honey Nut Brown' any better ideas out there?


1 comment:

FullaLove said...

I think you should call it "Hell Brew" or "Devil's Breath Brew" or "Flamin' Anus". Any of those would be great :)