Sunday, July 22, 2007

Hows my little message?

Leaving and retrieving messages on phones is growing more painful.
The advent of the answering machine ages ago was a godsend for some and a pain in the ass for others.
So the modern answering machine has been around since the early 80s giving basically EVERY SINGLE PERSON who knows how to use a phone a very solid understanding of the purpose and normal operation of said machine. So when the advent of personalized messages came about and people could leave funny, cute, and sultry messages to would be callers, mostly at first instructing them to leave a message after the beep the world was a happy place.

Well over 20 years have passed since this era began (and passed). Caller ID was an angel sent from heaven, and now we all have cell phones, with some families have more that 4 phone numbers under their surname and we still have damn people telling me to leave messages after the beep. STOP! I know when to leave the message You know when to leave the message. In case you didn't when your recording stops and an unnatural sound happens the time to begin recording the message has begun.

BUT WAIT!!

If only it were that simple.
Now we have the cell Phone wench telling me that I can leave a call back number OR leave a message. First what the hell is a call back number? Is that basically a page for my cellphone recently converted to a beeper (ha remember those, how ridiculous) No, in fact Fuck no! I am calling this person to exchange some type of information with them be it the weather in their location, or when to meet for dinner. I have never thought, oh hey, I'll just leave them a numerical message that they can decipher if they have the wit ( 55378008 - or - 7734) to figure out. NO! If they don't answer I want to leave them a message, telling them that Duluth is foggy and Dinner is roasting on the grill. Thats it, come on!

Don't get me started about the bitch that cuts me off mid-message because I only have 8 seconds (or no seconds) of recoding left.

So in short
People: lets get with it, everyone knows they shouldn't start talking before the tone.
Phone companies: Turn off the lady Post-recording because damnit I only want to leave a message, I don't care to listen to it afterwards or even leave a "callback number".

Just play the damn beep.

5 comments:

Pete said...

I agree. I also hate it when you dial voicemail to listen into your new messages and when I'm in a rush.

Phone: "Welcome to voicemail... the great way to listen to messages"
Pete: "Yeah yeah yeah, hurry up"
Phone: "You have one new message"
Pete: "No s@%t sherlock, just gimmie"
Phone: "Message one... from phonenumber... 7...6...3...4...3...8...5...4...4...9..."
Pete: "JUST GIMMIE IT"
Phone: "I think that was your friend Pete, he was wearing his favourite blue teeshirt at the time and had just eaten breakfast. The message he left was sent at 7...43... AM.
Pete: "GIMMIE IT!!!"
Phone: "To hear the message in Spanish, press one..."

And so on. It needs to hurry up so I can do more productive things.

anniemosity said...

one time i was just beginning a message and the lady cut me off and said "your message has been marked for urgent delivery." i had to jump through a series of hoops in order to mark the message for normal delivery, erase, and re-record, which was done at a rushed pace, so as not to set off that cunt again.

anniemosity said...

i totally take my sparks, nevada nix. it's completely and totally one samantha scott.

samma said...

awww bitchez. im in ur blogs. stalking u from sparks, nv.

Sydney's Opals said...

This time wasting is one of my pet peeves. I got to wondering collectively how much time this really wastes. So here are some stats I ran. If everyone that has a cell phone leaves one message per day than EACH DAY there is a collective waste of time of 550 years! You would think with 2.5 billion users the cell phone companies would be a little more considerate.